Thursday 9 February 2012

Running again and delicious Moroccan stew

So its good news all round today...After months of frustration I am finally back in the game of running (if it was a game). I've had about 2 happy weeks now of no pain running and it feels brilliant. It started after a conversation about how many squats i'd been doing and seeing no improvement with a relative stranger, who, I think, I have to thank for being back on track. He, although possibly slightly alarmed about being engaged in a rambled discussed about my knee..( I don't know his name, but I knew he was a marathon runner so figured we were practically best pals) anyway he told me to stretch my hamstring 3 times a day - thats it, that simple... Im not sure if it was this or in fact the months of squats, bikram yoga, foam rolling i'd been doing but the next day - having stretched fanatically -  I apprehensively set off. Nervous, from repeated disappointment in my unworn snazzy running gear and I ran around the park - 2 laps, 20 minutes no pain. HORAY.

Although injury has been a massive pain and frustration and at times, my somewhat melodramatic self has despaired, i'm still glad it all happened as I now appreciate it more than ever. There is nothing like not being able to do something to make you really want it! So i'm being super careful and taking it slow but today I had a glorious 4-mile run along the South Bank and felt free and happy again.

Ok enough of that, I don't want you to vomit but there is another purpose of this post: to give you the recipe of the lovely veggie morrocaney stew I made on return. I didn't know what to make for lunch so I knocked this up based on what I had in the fridge/cupboard and it works so well...if i may say so myself.


Ingredients: (serves about 2)

  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • any other veg you fancy (I used a few mushrooms and cherry tomatoes)
  • 1/3 cup puy lentils
  • 1/2- teaspoon of: coriander, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and a splash of all spice. 
  • Fresh corriander
Fry up onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil then add the spices and fry for a few more mins, (add spices to your own preferences). Add chopped up sweet potato, carrots and any other veggies your using - stir well then add your lentils. Cover will boiled water and leave to simmer with the lid on until lentils and vegetables are soft, add some fresh coriander Serve with cous cous. 

To make cous cous: 

Cook your plain cous cous, meanwhile chop up a small bunch of mint and coriander. Mix the herbs into the cous cous along with seasoning and tomato puree. Add some chopped up sun dried tomatoes or olives if you have any (or any other additions you fancy).

 *This is so tasty/warming and nutritious and goes down a treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment