Friday 20 January 2012

Healthy and delicious homemade pizza!

I ate lunch today with a feeling of pride, like I had actually won. Now i'm not really sure what i'd won, but either way I felt like a winner. I had created in a matter of minutes - probably about 15 to be exact - a healthy but delicious homemade pizza.



                                                     (yum)

So here is how I did it, and I urge you to do it too and feel like a winner.

The trick and the thing that made it healthy was the base; a wholemeal flatbread (you can find these in most supermarkets, you could also probably used a wholemeal pitta if you like.)

Ingredients:

  • Wholemeal flatbread
  • half an onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1-2 tomatoes 
  • tiny bit of tomato puree
  • Dried of fresh herbs and black pepper
  • veggies of your choice - I used, peppers, mushrooms, courgettes and some jalapenos. 
  • Cheese (you can again use any, I just used cheddar)  - if you want to restrict calories then use low fat but i'm not a great believer in low fat cheese...yes low fat yoghurt isn't a huge problem for me and I buy it, but low fat cheese?! please. 
It was so easy:
I blitzed up the onion and garlic and lightly cooked in a spot of olive oil then added the cut up tomatoes and tomato puree and cooked a little more before adding herbs and seasoning. Any italian herbs work nicely in this. I then spread this sauce all over my flat bread and piled chopped up topping of: mushrooms, peppers, courgettes and jalapenos all over the base. Finally I chucked on a load of grated cheese and put the whole thing in the oven for about 7-10 mins. 

I then took it out and ate it greedily and smugly with a side salad. And can I just say it was so nice! I didn't feel like I was compromising on anything and I didn't feel guilty for having pizza for lunch. Watch this space for more healthy alternatives as although I love salads, there is more to life and food than salad. 

The great thing about this nutrition-wise was the high fibre content with the wholemeal flatbread and all the vegetables. Although too much cheese is frowned upon, the amount used for this is hardly going to do anything and it adds some protein to the meal. You could also add some lean meat like chicken if you want a more protein rich meal. Ok get cooking and enjoy your meals as thats what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment