Tuesday 6 March 2012

Running progress

I'm well and truly getting my running mojo (sorry that I just willingly said mojo) back and its so liberating. I think thats what I love about running, that it makes you feel so free, and also kind of like a hero. I say that with the least smugness intended but its true. 

One of my regular running loops goes from my house to Lambeth Bridge and along the river to Waterloo Bridge, where I cross back over to the south side. There is something about Waterloo Bridge which gives me such a buzz. I think its because you have to run up some steps first then straight onto a bit of an incline over the hump of the bridge so your pretty out of breath. But you feel like your in the middle of the city and as I usually run about 8am, i'm hitting rush hour and running against the people and let me tell you there is something epic about this. Its tough but you feel like your winning, (it doesn't really matter who your beating - you just are.)

The more I run the more I want to improve, and get faster, better, run for longer. But I don't want to push it as another injury would be a nightmare. I've also set my sights on my next half marathon at some point this year and the full 26.2 miles next year. 

Another good thing about running is that it makes me care less about my weight. While I wasn't running (due to injury) I went down by about 5 pounds, in hindsight this was clearly because I was losing muscle but at the time I was secretly pleased. But equally I wasn't happy and felt totally down about not being able to run. But as i've been increasing my runs in length and frequency those 5 pounds have come back but I look in better shape and my 9 stone stable weight is back.

 This is the weight my body clearly wants to be (it really wont shut up about it) and I am not going to jeopardise anything about my running progress and ability to be the 8 1/2 stone I think is my 'ideal weight' because its not. I've decided to stop hopping on the scales now, apart from every once in a while - to check - but the every morning habit I was in last year is long gone. I still speak to women who weigh themselves every day and some twice a day and its so unhealthy and so pointless! It makes me sad though because I know how that number on the scales can totally dictate your mood and self esteem for that day. 

I've also got a rant to have about some of the diet fads going round at the moments, the Dukan being one of them, but i'll save that for another day. For now its time for an interval run and park workout eeek. Then for lunch: homemade falafel, pitta and haloumi and salad - horay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment