Sunday 25 March 2012

Spring running

So it seems that without really meaning to this blog has become all about running...but running has been taking up alot of my life lately and it is also not something that your friends, work colleagues, boyfriend, family want to hear about ALL the time - they generally don't really care about your latest minute per mile rate.

But a bit of an update: i've become suddenly really quite serious about this running business. Im planning my training sessions in advance, i'm doing a fair bit of speed work and steadily increasing my mileage and i'm actually planning to run a marathon next year. This is madness. How can I actually be considering this? But I know, that if I train my heart out I can do it. I'm also suddenly obsessed with running forums and what other runners are doing...I've been buying running magazine for a while now but something has happened and everything is a bit more serious now. I have even joined a women's running club, which by the way, i'd highly recommend - its seriously motivating to run a bit faster when you are actually chasing people who are disappearing into the distance... Reading this back I sound a bit like a smug a-hole and my sisters would certainly agree with that but I don't even care because I love it.

Have had a few hard runs this week, a fast paced, (well for me, I may be serious about running but that does not been I have any natural ability to stride out effortlessly, but at least i'm keen). So anyway a fast 10k run (8.10 min miles) on thursday in the un-seasonally warm march midday sun was tough. As I was nearing the end, pounding along the South Bank I thought it would be socially acceptable to approach some innocent school kids and ask for water - not cool it turns out. They just think your mental, dripping with sweat, panting, bright red asking for some of their water. Needless to say they weren't so keen on sharing. Anyway this was followed by an interval session on Friday and it really took it out of me, so today I decided not to worry about pace at all and just have a gentle recovery run. Heading over the bridge to St James Park at 8am on a Sunday morning is delightful - so peaceful an lovely in the spring morning sunshine. I did an easy 6 miles and feel like it really renewed by love for running - sometimes you have to just enjoy yourself and not worry about times and paces. A sneaky look at my run tracker once I was home also showed that I still had a reasonable 8.48 min mile pace - secretly more smug eating my muesli now.

So thats why i'm in love with running and planning to run an actual marathon. What has happened to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment