Thursday 29 March 2012

What I've learnt today...

Erm...

1. that twisting your ankle hurts.
2. Continuing to run after twisting your ankle is a bad idea.
3. Lying on the sofa with ice on your ankle makes you feel like a fool for continuing to run after you twisted your god dam ankle.

Its time like these that I feel like karma, (I don't believe in karma but for the sake of this) catches up with you for getting ahead of yourself and saying your going to run a marathon...

So there I was on the way back from a 6mile-ish run, coming back through St James Park in the beautiful morning sunshine when I got distracted, looked over my shoulder and lost my footing. i.e. I placed my foot onto a small log, it obviously rolled over and ouch: twisted ankle pain. One hell of a lot of fff's later the immediate pain of it went and I tentatively started to put a bit of weight on the ankle and slowly picked up speed. For the mile and a half or so home I was vaguely conscious of my ankle but it felt ok.

But as soon as I got in the door and took off my trainers it was likes limpsvilletennessee. I hopped into an ice bath (for my sore shins, which I had pre twist, and for ankle.) I know I am very causally declaring that I 'hopped into an ice bath' - it was not a causal occurrence and was pretty mind blowing and my first ever ice bath but seemed a bit necessary. So hopefully that helped but excruciating pain followed this as I continued to ice swollen ankle, so much pain that I was un able to make it to fridge for snack!

It has eased now, I am just desperately hoping it was a mild sprain and won't stop me running for more than a few days. But I do feel like an idiot and wish I could turn back time and not have inflicted this onto myself. Not being able to run again for any length of time would destroy my soul somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment